DGW BIP DGW
HALL OF TRADITIONS
Poniedziałek, 23 października 2017 r.
HALL OF TRADITION OF WGC NAMED AFTER GEN HENRYK MINKIEWICZ


 
The WGC Hall of Tradition was established on November 11, 2006. Exhibits, informational materials and photographs on display present the history of the military authority in the capital and architectural objects relating to its activities. The charts show the architectural history of the palace complex, the so called “Saxon Axis” and its major facilities: the Saxon Palace, Marshal J. Pilsudski's Square, Tomb of the Unknown Soldier and the famous "House Without Corners", the present headquarters of the Warsaw Garrison Command. Colourful charts contain information on the genesis of the Warsaw Garrison Command Day that is celebrated on April 19. The date commemorates  the establishment (under the Russian rule-partition) of the Polish Military Government and the nomination of gen. Stanisław Mokronowski (on 19 April 1794) the Commander of the Free City of Warsaw and The Duchy of Mazovia. Other charts show photos and brief descriptions of military units of the Warsaw Garrison Command, stationed in the capital and others all over Poland. Archival photographs depicting the history of the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, the names and portraits (photographs) of military governors, the commandants and the commanders of the Warsaw Garrison, from the first one appointed on April 19, 1794 till the present day; WGC commemorative badges and those of the subordinate military units; WGC distinguished of rank and those of the subordinate military units.

 
 


 
Tokens of remembrance are placed in individual showcases:

- original copies of melee weapons/side arms and firearms of 1794 Kosciuszko Insurrection, the November Uprising 1830-1831. and the interwar period from 1918 to 1939;
- military eagles worn on their caps by soldiers of the legions that fought fiercely for independence of their country under the partitions of Russia, Prussia and Germany and the reborn Polish Army of the Second Polish Republic and other armed formations until 1939;
- photographs of gen Henry Minkiewicz – the patron of WGC Tradition Hall that was named after him;
- artefacts related to the 1940 the Katyń Forest massacre committed by the Soviet troops i.e.;
- personal belongings, pieces of clothing, parts of soldiers uniforms which were recovered after  the exhumation of the Polish officers remains from the massive graves in the Katyń forest;
- the so called Katyń List is of significant value as documentary evidence -  an exibit of war crime /mass murder. The list contains 15,000 names of Polish Army and Border Protection Corps/guard officers and officers of the State Police, border guards, prisons guards
and Customs Service officers murdered in Katyń, Kharkov and Miednoje, posthumously promoted to the next rank. The Katyń List was read out in Piłsudski Square at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier on November 9-10, 2007;
- decorations in the form of commemorative medals and badges and badges with diplomas the Warsaw Garrison Command was awarded by state institutions, non-governmental  organizations (NGO's) and war veterans organizations;
- WGC's takes of cooperation with civil local communities;
- medals, ornamental pectoral plates/ knight gorget, platters, bowls, vases, letters of congratulation and other items, donated to the Warsaw Garrison Command by various institutions, universities and military units, schools and associations.

Important documents on display are agreements on cooperation with local community organizations. The largest, three level showcase, placed in the central part of the room contains:
exhibits symbolizing the international cooperation of the Warsaw Garrison Command as a part of the Capital Garrison Commander's Club of the Central European countries. There are also colourful copies of diplomas of the Honorary Sign of the Armed Forces and orders given to the military units subordinated to WGC. In the next showcases, there is the Visitors' Book  of the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. The first visitors signed it in 1946. Since then the Tomb Of The Unknown Soldier and the square have been under the new management of the Town Council of the Capital City of Warsaw. Personal mementoes of officers serving in the Headquarters of the Capital City and the Warsaw Garrison Command, as well as badges, vases and other items. In the historical part of the Tradition Hall there are photocopies of pictures and documents concerning the inter-war activities of the ceremonial detachments:
 
The Castle Company and Cavalry Squadron as well as  the Capital Battalion (1936-1939) the formations constituted the guard units of the President of the Republic of Poland. On the front wall in the background of the drawing depicting the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, there are three sets of archival photos taken during the ceremony of laying wreaths on the slab of the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in the years 1925-2006 by monarchs, presidents, prime ministers, diplomats, the high-ranking military and other dignitaries, as well as official and military state delegations, representatives social organizations and s and associations of war veterans. The officer's saber (mod. 1921-1922) is worth paying attention. It was given as a gift by London's environment of Polish Armed Forces in the West. The saber donating ceremony was held on August 15, 1992 during a ceremonial change of the Honour Guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier on Polish Army Day and on the occasion of the First World Convention of the Veterans. A horse tack for uhlan cavalryman equipment of 1936-1939 is placed on a rack at the display case. A complete saddle set and a lance weapon (mod. French of 1913), a military saber (mod. 1921-1922), in addition a four-corner cap , a cloth coat and a cape. Since January 1,2009. the Cavalry Squadron of the Polish Army is a part of the Ceremonial Battalion of the Warsaw Garrison Command. The pride of the Hall of Tradition are banners The Secret  Army Soldiers' Association – the Inmates of Labour Camps, the Capital City Battalion (1936-1939) as well as cast in bronze miniature copies of Warsaw monuments of Jan Kiliński, Nike and Mermaid (from the Old Town Square) and military caps of the soldiers from ceremonial detachments of some Central European countries and the United States. The copy of a vivid painting on canvas by Stanisław Bagieński, called “Disarming of  German soldiers standing in front of the Garrison Headquarters in Warsaw„ is worth noticing. The painting the events that took place outside the present headwaters of the Warsaw Garrison Command on November 10, 1918 Poland regained its independence (after 123 year partition period). The red-letter day for our fatherland for Poland.
 
 


 

 

Klub DGW Dla szkół
Linki społecznościowe DGW na facebook DGW na Instagram DGW na YouTube DGW na flicr