THE MEMORIAL PLAQUES ON THE BUILDING OF THE WARSAW GARRISON COMMAND
On the front wall of the building there are five memorial plaques made of bronze. Their founder is the Council of Protection for the Memory of Struggle And Martyrdom.
On September 18, 2002, a memorial plaque in memory of the Polish mathematicians - cryptologists was unveiled. The graduates of the Poznań University: Marian Rejewski (1905-1980), Jerzy Różycki (1909-1942) and Henryk Zygalskiego (1908-1978). In 1932 they were the first, who broke the codes of the German cipher machine "Enigma". In the years prior to the outbreak of the WW II they had worked for the Department II of the General Staff of the Polish Army, located in the Saxon Palace, in the Square of Marshal Józef Piłsudski. The building was almost completely destroyed by the German Nazis from 27 to 29 December 1944. The Polish cryptologists, breaking the code of the machine, made a great contribution to the victory of the Allied Forces and liberating the Nazi-occupied countries in WW II. The services done to the British Military Intelligence (MI 5 and MI 6) were of the greatest importance. The memorial plaque measured 130 x 106 cm was made in the form of an open book with text in two versions – Polish and English. The plaque is designed by an artist-sculptor professor of Fine Arts Academy in Poznan Maciej Szańkowski. The unveiling ceremony was done by the Secretary General of the Council for the Protection of Memory of Struggle and Martyrdom Andrzej Przewoźnik PhD and the legendary "courier from Warsaw" Jan Nowak–Jezioranski. The ceremony was attended by the commander of the Warsaw Garrison Maj Gen Marian Mainda, some representatives of MoD and the Minister of Foreign Affairs, the Embassy of The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, WW II veterans and scout organizations and students of Warsaw. Three casts in bronze of the memorial plaques covered with a patina. Two of the plaques were transported by The Polish Airlines LOT to the UK. HM Queen Elizabeth II unveiled one of the plaques in London on July 11, 2002. The other plaque donated by Poles, was placed in Bletchley Park near London. During the WW II it was famous for the Government Collage of Codes and Ciphers located there.
"In a tribute to the Hungarian people" the text reads on the plaque placed on the front wall of the building of the Warsaw Garrison Command. On March 22, 2011, while paying an official visit the president of Hungary Pál Schmitt and the Polish president Bronisław Komorowski unveiled the commemorative plaque placed on the building of WGC. It is in tribute and gratitude for the logistic support provided by the Government of the Kingdom of Hungary to the Polish people during the Polish - Soviet War 1919-1921. In total, the Polish soldiers were generously donated with 100 million of rifle cartridges and a considerable amount of artillery ammunition and military equipment. The text on the plaque reads “on August 12, 1920, a transport of 22 million ammunition's bullets made in the Manfred Weiss Factory in Csepel (Budapest) reached Skierniewice railway station in Poland”. At the top of the memorial plaque there are the emblems of Poland and Hungary, and at the bottom the text reads: “We are grateful. The Polish people”. During the ceremony, which was attended by the commander of the Warsaw Garrison Brig Gen Wiesław Grudziński PhD and the Secretary General of the Council for the Protection of Memory of Struggle and Martyrdom Andrzej Krzysztof Kunert PhD who addressed the gathering on the ceremonial occasion. The Guard o Honour was mounted by Ceremonial Battalion of the Polish Army of the Command of the Warsaw Garrison.
On October 22, 2011, during a solemn ceremony that marked the 86th , anniversary of the Tomb Of The Unknown Soldier, the first Lady of Poland Anna Komorowska, attended the unveiling ceremony of the memorial plaque in memory of Jadwiga Zarugiewicz – respected as Good Mother of Unknown Soldier and her son Konstanty – a student of The Lwow Polytechnics who died on August 17,1920 during the Polish-Soviet War in the battle of Zadwórze, posthumously awarded the War Order of Virtuti Militari.
What must be emphasize, Jadwiga Zarugiewicz on 29th of November,1925, at the Cemetery of The Defenders of Lviv, in the presence of Lviv authorities, representatives of the Polish Army and war veterans was strong enough to one from three exposed coffins contained the remains of unknown soldiers from the Lviv battlefield.
The unveiling ceremony was attended by the First Lady Anna Komorowska, the Minister of Justice Krzysztof Kwiatkowski, Minister Andrzej Kunert, Vice President of the capital city of Warsaw Jacek Wojciechowski, Brig Gen Wiesław Grudziński PhD and a grandson of Jadwiga Zarugiewicz, Tomasz Pawelski. The plaque was consecrated by the Dean of the Warsaw Military Deanery the Bishop Col. Jan Domian - Dean of the Ordinariate Field, chaplain of WGC.
On June 18, 2012 a memorial plaque marking the 220th Anniversary of establishing “Virtuti Militari” the Military Order was unveiled by Gen Brig General Zbigniew Ścibor–Rylski the Secretary of the Chapter of the VM. He is also an acting president of the Association of Warsaw Insurgents (August 1944).
On the plaque measured 110 x 65 cm the text reads: In honour of the heroic defenders of the fatherland awarded with the War Order Virtuti Militari to mark the 220th anniversary of establishing of order- Compatriots. Warsaw, June 18, 2012.
In the top left corner you can see the obverse of the first version of the order in the form of a medal, established and awarded by the King Stanisław August Poniatowski, and in the bottom left corner is depicted a modern version of the decoration, given during the Polish – Soviet War of 1920 and during the WW II. The ceremony was attended by the Deputy State Secretary in the MoD Beata Oczkowicz, the head of the Office for War Veterans and the Repressed Jan Stanisław Ciechanowski PhD, Secretary of the Council for Protection of Memory of Struggle and Martyrdom, Andrzej Kunert PhD, the commander of the Warsaw Garrison Gen Brig Wiesław Grudziński PhD, the Ladies and Knights – recipients of the Military Order of Virtuti Militari, as well as delegations from the heroic cities which were awarded the highest Polish war military decorations – Lvov, Warsaw and Verdun. The memorial plaque was consecrated by Field Bishop of PAF Józef Guzdek PhD. The Guard of Honour was mounted by the Ceremonial occasion Battalion of Polish Armed Forces.
On August 15, 2013, the President of the Republic of Poland Bronisław Komorowski in the presence of Minister of MoD Tomasz Siemoniak, the head of the National Security Office, Stanisław Koziej and the commander of the Warsaw Garrison Gen Brig Wiesław Grudziński PhD, unveiled a memorial plaque in honor of Lt Gen Stanisław Szeptycki, who was appointed Minister of Military Affairs in 1923. He established August 15 as the Polish Soldier's Day. Since 1992 it has been celebrated as the Polish Army Day. The unveiling ceremony was also attended by the Secretary of The Council for Protection of Struggle And Martyrdom Andrzej Kunert PhD, and the President of the Foundation of the Szeptycki's Family prof. Aleksander Szeptycki.
LT. GEN. STANISŁAW SZEPTYCKI (1867-1950)
Lt. Gen. Stanisław Szeptycki (1867-1950) a graduate of the Military Academy and the the Navy Collage in Vienna, where he began his military service. He joined the Austrian Army. He performed different functions (a couple of commanding posts) and a diplomatic one. Among other things as a military attaché to the Austrian Embassy in Rome. In 1916 he was assigned to the Polish Legions. The 3rd Brigade was under his command. In November 1918. he was appointed as the chief of the General Staff. During the Polish–Soviet War of (1919-1921) he commanded a division, the Lithuanian – Belarusian Front, North–East Front, and then the 4th Army. In 1921 he was an inspector of the army, and then Minister of Military Affairs (1923). Next, he resumed his previous post. After Piłsudski's May 1926 Coup d,Etat he was dismissed from active service and was transferred to the state of rest. He lived in Crakow and Korczyn near Krosno, performing the function of President of the National Oil Company. After WW II in 1945, he reported to the Polish Armed Forces and was Head of Directors Board of The Polish Red Cross (1945-1950). The Knight of the Military Order "Virtuti Militari class II and class V, four times awarded with the "Cross of Valour".